Thursday, June 7, 2012

I Is a College Graduate!


Well, peeps…  The rumors are true. As of Saturday, May 19th, 2012 I earned a B.A. in Screenwriting from Chapman University’s Dodge College of Film and Media Arts. I have to say, this last year of college has been an amazing one for me. I’ve developed some close friendships with some awesome people. I was lucky enough to end up with probably the best roommates ever. I’m sad to have moved out so soon, but I’ll be keeping in touch with them. I participated in my first and last Undie Run. I feel like I’ve grown and matured as a person and young woman. Now I’m working and saving as much money as I can for one big trip. Either a roadtrip, or a trip abroad. Maybe even both if I can swing it. I’m happy with my life, where it’s going, and the people in it. I’ll continue writing, and working my scripts. And once I’ve eased my travel bug, I’ll be settling into an entry level job in the industry. But before I get to my all my future plans, let me start with my Graduation experience.

It's hard to explain what's happening here...

It’s hard to believe that only 3 years ago, I was just finishing up my freshman year of college, and wondering how the hell I was going to pay to go to Chapman. The Me three years ago would’ve freaked the fuck out at the thought of graduating college. The sheer uncertainty of it all scared me and on some level still does, but not nearly as much as things like that used to.  In fact, I dealt with the scary reality of graduating from college like any other normal college kid: sheer denial.

The weeks, days, and hours preceding commencement I spent freakishly calm. When my family got into town and constantly asked me how I was feeling, I could honestly say, “Eh, okay, I guess.” The days before graduation seemed normal to me because I was too busy working and finishing up my scripts. For some reason it was not registering that I was about to experience such an important event in my life. I guess I just thought that if I didn’t think about it, it wasn’t real. And that scenario worked up until the very last second before I was about to walk across the stage.

And I have to say, the people I sat next to during Graduation were the best people to share that experience with. It was such a monumental time in our lives, and we all sat there just joking and freaking out together, sipping flavored vodka from a water bottle that someone had in their pocket under their gown; all on the same page, all excited and terrified at the same time. Look at me, going on like we served in a war together or something. I guess in a way we did. We experienced college together, shared the good and bad times. It’s been  surreal, and this is just the beginning.  

We badass...

Now, graduation day itself probably couldn’t have gone better. My family from both sides came down, and there were no fights between them. My best friends that I’ve known for over 10 years came down to watch me graduate, and I love them so much for coming out to support me. We went out to dinner after commencement, and had a great time. Then my family went back to their hotels to let us kids enjoy ourselves. That’s right, we boozed it up like most college grads that night. My two goals for that night were to get really drunk and not puke. Guess what? Mission accomplished! I spent that night drinking and talking with my best friends from home, and a few of my close friends from Chapman. It was a great night, and more pictures probably should’ve been taken. While I’ve managed to remain almost disgustingly calm and relaxed about this frightening new chapter in my life, some of my friends have unfortunately succumbed to the fear that comes with new uncertainties that come after college graduation.

I sympathize with my friends who feel like this. I expected to feel like this, but for some reason I’ve been able to remain calm. Maybe it’s because I know it’s all going to work out. I have the same fear of failure driving me, but at the same time, I know that life goes on, and there’s no use worrying about things when I’m doing everything I can to succeed. I’m actually excited about all the new things I can experience now that I’m not tied to school work all year. I want to travel, see new places before I settle down into a job. Well, I know I have to actually look for a job to settle into, because I too know the difficulties in finding a job, let alone one in the entertainment industry. I have tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of student loans looming over my head that go into payment in December. That scares the shit out of me most of all, but again, I’ll deal with that when I get to it.

 So I hope that my scared friends realize that we’re still all in the trenches together, but we can enjoy these supposed awful times as we work our ways to the top. I hope my terrified colleagues take some time to be young, experience new and fun things, and just relax before we all become successful industry people with no time to relax. Take some time to pamper yourselves. After all, we just completed our four year degrees. At times, it was easy as pie, but there were also those times where we thought we’d never be able to finish that paper or script in order to pass that class. So let’s celebrate! I believe we deserve at least this one last summer to live it up. So cheers to all my graduates of 2012! I love you all, and I hope you all have an amazing summer! 

Cue: Alice Cooper’s School’s Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment