Monday, January 6, 2014

New Years Stuff

I'm not one for boasting on the internet. I make a conscious effort not to complain too much, but I also try to stop myself from being one of those people who only posts amazingly fantabulous things that happen to me all the time. You know, like the people whose profiles you look at that make you depressed about your own life because every day of their lives looks like a fucking cakewalk? Oh! Did you get that job that you always wanted but didn't really need because your parents can support you financially until you die, so you don't have that fear of not being able to pay rent breathing down your neck? Super! What's that? You and the dude you've known for 2 seconds are totally in love and are getting married tomorrow? Fan-fucking-tastic! But I still like their posts anyways because I’m the idiot who believes that's today's version of good karma... And that's the continual bullshit of social media these days. It leaves you feeling shitty for your envy of everyone else's seemingly peachy existence while life is continually kicking you when you're already down. My point is, I think that everyone's life is relatively the same. We all have highs and lows, they just happen at different times for everyone. And we plaster our highs all over Facebook, but lie low when the world is busy tearing us down (anyone? or is that just me?) Point is-- the grass is always greener -- blah blah...blah!
 
Anyways, I like to try to keep my own online persona somewhere between self-deprecating jokester and modestly boastful. That being said, I've had a shitty past couple months, so the following is a list of the positive things that have happened to me and that I've accomplished this past year to remind myself why it's not ok for me lay (lie?) in bed crying all day repeating out loud that life is "stupid bullshit and everything is pointless"... ya know, like a completely sane person...

1) I filmed a short script that I co-wrote -- There was writing, and rewriting, and location scouting, and casting, and prop shopping, and filming! Friendships were made, tempers were overflowing! All-nighters were had! All that good stuff! It was so much fun and totally worth it. 

2) I started working in my industry, aka the entertainment industry, aka THE Industry -- It’s only temp assignments through a temp agency, but I've been able to work at some well-known Production companies and networks. If anything, it looks good for my resume, and is giving me firsthand experience of what the business is like. Maybe someday I'll trick one of those companies into hiring me permanently?!

3) I moved to LA -- I've been living in Southern California for 4 going on 5 years now (wow!), but in the OC. Now I officially have a Los Angeles address. It's a dirty, crowded, disgustingly material oriented city, and those are the good parts of it ;) But it just so happens to be the hub of my chosen career, so I’m slowly learning to accept it, and finding myself in fun situations which usually take me off guard, in a good way.

4) I entered a standup competition and won! It was my first time ever performing standup, I told an embarrassing story, and it was apparently funny enough to win me the $100 first place cash prize. Good thing too, because I needed the money! It also allowed me to book a couple more gigs. It was probably the most nervous I’ve ever been, but at the same time, it was exhilarating and a lot of fun.

5) For the first time, I had a semi-successful relationship with a dude that I liked for awhile -- At the very least it was a fun summer romance. I allowed myself to open up to another human being, have fun, get hurt, and am still alive. It was a shitty situation (but at times really great too) and I can't believe that everyday people all over the world allow themselves to be vulnerable like that and often times get their heart stomped on... but I also realize that this pain is part of being human and that eventually you’ll find someone who isn't going to do all those mean things to you.. at least that's what I'm being told. 

Last day in our Garden Grove house! Bittersweet.

Camping at Joshua Tree

Winning the stand-up competition. 

Looking at Christmas lights in Long Beach :)

I've also met some great friends that have been with me through all the ups and downs this past year has brought. To them, I am eternally grateful because I know I rant... a lot... I truly appreciate everyone who I’ve crossed paths with this year. My only hope is that I can be there for them as much as they've been there for me. It’s been a trying year, but definitely one of my best and I can only hope this year is even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment